Stay warm this winter with ACH Group healthy chef Mel Haynes’ delicious Red lentil soup with kale recipe.
1 x 2-litre bottle tomato juice
1 bunch of kale, finely sliced
2 brown onions, finely diced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
Ricebran oil, for frying
1/2 cup red lentils
200g button mushrooms, diced
200g mixed soup vegetables (eg carrot, parsnip, potato), diced
1 tsp paprika
2 stock cubes
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the ricebran oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Add the onion and garlic and fry until translucent.
- Add the mushroom and mixed vegetables (except the kale) and fry for five minutes.
- Add the paprika, tomato juice and lentils and simmer until lentils soften (up to 3 hours).
- Add crumbled stock cubes, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Top with kale and simmer for another five minutes.